If you do not have a driver’s license, but want to drive a car in Texas, the first thing you must do is to obtain a driver’s license. Here are the important things to know about a driver’s license in Texas.
Requirements to get a driver’s license in Texas
- If you want to obtain a driver’s license, the first step for you is an application, which must be done in person. You can go to any Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in Texas to apply or you can download an application from the website.
- If you are a new resident in Texas, you should apply for a driver’s license within 90 days of entering the state. You must provide a document, which will show that you have lived in Texas for at least 30 days.
Before applying, you need to know about the application and the required documents։
- You need to provide your full name, mailing address, proof of residential address, your current country of residence, place, and date of birth
- Then you must present identification documents
- Thirdly, you need to provide social security card or other evidence of a social security number
- After that, you must provide thumb and index fingerprints
- You must show a physical description
- In the sixth step, you must answer the medical status and history questions of the application
- Then, you must give your valid out-of-state driver’s license
- Lastly, you need to provide U.S. citizenship status and lawful presence
Classes of Texan Driver Licenses
There are different types of classes for driver’s licenses in Texas and every class has its requirements. Here are the classes:
If you are free from obligation and not required to get a commercial driver’s license, it means you need Class A, B, C, and M driver’s licenses. Mostly 18 years or older men have non-commercial driver licenses, which are valid for six years.
Class A License
This class allows people to drive a vehicle or combination of them with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26,001 pounds or more. If you want to get such a commercial vehicle, you need to have a Class A of a Commercial Driver License. For more information, you can check the Handbook.
Class C License
This class is the most common and usual class of driver’s licenses. This class allows you to drive a vehicle under 26.001 pounds. So, if you want to have such a commercial vehicle, you must obtain a Commercial Driver License of Class C. For more information, you can read the Handbook.
Class B License
This kind of license allows you to drive a single vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 26.001 pounds or more. You can tow a vehicle with a GVWR of 10.000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR of 20.000 pounds. So, if you want to have such kind of vehicle, you must get a Class B driver license.
Class M License
Such kind of Class of license allows you to drive a moped or motorcycle. But before you apply for this Class, you have to pass a motorcycle operator training course.
The minimum age of a motorcycle is 16 years old, but you must complete a driver education course and motorcycle operator training course.
What refers to a moped, the minimum age is 15 years of age, and you must complete driver education and motorcycle operator training courses.
Prices for getting a Class of Driver License in Texas
- Class A (18 or older)- total $25 for six years
- Class A (17 years old, who completed driver education course)-total $16 expired on applicant’s next birthday
- Class C (18 or older) total $25 for six years
- Class C (16 years old, who completed driver education course)-total $16 expired on applicant’s 18th birthday
- Class C (15 years old with a hardship license)- total $6 expired on applicant’s next birthday
- Class B (18 or older)- total $25 for six years
- Class B (17 years old, who completed driver education course)-total $16 expired on applicant’s next birthday
- Class M (18 or older)-total $25 for six years
- Class M (under 18)- total $16 expired on applicant’s 18th birthday
Types of Driver Licenses in Texas
There are different types of licenses in Texas.
- The first type is Learner License, which is also called an instruction permit. This type of license allows a student to practice driving with someone, who has a driver’s license. The accompanied driver must be 21 years old or more and have at least 1 year of experience in driving. This kind of license will expire on the 18th birthday of the driver. A person who applies for this type of license must be 15-18 years old. The portion of knowledge, vision exam, and a driver education course must be completed.
- The second one is Hardship License, which is given to minors, who have the necessities to drive but have some restrictions. Minors who apply for this type of license must be at least 15 years old and no more than 18 years old. They must complete vision, knowledge, and a driver education course. The application can be done by an authorized adult on behalf of the minor. But both of them must sign the form in person.
- The third one is Graduated License, which is an opportunity for beginners to drive a motor vehicle on roads with lower risks under some conditions. If you want to have a graduated driver’s license, you must go through 3 stages.
- The first stage is called a supervised learner’s stage, which lasts a minimum of 6 months.
- The second stage is called unsupervised driving. You can drive only in less risky situations.
- The third one is a full-privilege license. You can reach this stage, only if you meet the requirements of the above-mentioned stages.
The steps to follow, when your driver license is stolen
If you see that your driver’s license is missing, you must immediately follow these steps:
- Firstly, you must go to the nearest police station and file a report there. To get a new license with a new number, you must have a police report number
- Secondly, you have to go to the Texas Driver’s License Office and apply for obtaining a new driver’s license
After your application, the Texas Driver License Office will study your case and decide whether to issue a new license number or not.
Replacement of driver license in Texas
If you want to obtain a replacement driver’s license online without changing any information on the card you must provide the followings:
- At first, you must provide your driver license or identification card number
- You must provide your birthdate
- Thirdly, you must provide the last 4 digits of the social security number
- Lastly, the audit number from your recently issued card is necessary too.
If you want to apply for a replacement at your local driver license, you must:
- Firstly, you must apply before going to the office
- Then, you must make an appointment at the local driver license office
- You must provide application replacement, identity, U.S Citizenship, or evidence of the lawful presence
- After that, you must provide your thumbprint
- Then you must have your picture taken
- And lastly, pay the application fee.